NFBA LogoNFBA Header

A Brief History of the Association

In the course of a friendly bowls match between Brockenhurst and New Milton in 1946 the germ of an idea of a New Forest Bowling Association was planted.
As a result, on the 31st October 1946, a sub-committee from New Milton met with four members of Brockenhurst B.C., this resulted in Mr. Cecil Foot being asked to write to Bowling Clubs situated in Christchurch, Lymington, Lyndhurst, Milford and Ringwood to seek their views on forming an Association of local Clubs. Mr. Foot duly obliged and by early 1947 had received sufficient favourable replies to convene the inaugural meeting of interested parties. This was held at 6:30pm on Tuesday 11th March 1947 at Mr. Foot's office in New Milton. The meeting was attended by representatives of the five founder clubs namely - Brockenhurst, Lyndhurst, Milford-on-Sea, New Milton and Ringwood. Jack Rook of New Milton was asked to take the chair and thus became the Association's first President. 
 
1948 - Singles, Pairs and Triples competitions inaugurated.

Since 1947 an initial league of five teams has grown to five divisions of eight teams.
The number of clubs in the association has increased from five to sixteen as follows:-

1948 - Lymington
1952 - Fordingbridge.    
1953 - Esso (now Waterside).
1977 - Highcliffe.             
1979 - Braeside 1986 - Downton               
1987 - Iford Bridge 1989 - Christchurch         
1990 - Verwood 1999 - Totton & Eling and most recently in 2002 - West Moors.



West Moors admission has enabled the league to be enlarged to six divisions.
This new league commenced in 2003.  

 

Unfortunately Christchurch closed down in 2013 so the NFBA now has a total of 15 clubs.